Global Spa & Wellness Summit – Powerful Numbers echoing a Powerful Message
The most recent Global Spa & Wellness Summit (GSWS) took place September 10-12, 2014 at the Four Seasons Resort Marrakesh, Morocco. An annual summit, this most recent gathering made public some incredible data echoing a powerful and inspiring message.
Wellness is now a $3.4 Trillion Dollar Global Industry. That is 3.4X as great as the $1 Trillion Dollar Global Pharmaceutical Industry.
Comprised of 10 major sectors, the Wellness Industry has seen some remarkable growth as highlighted below:
- The Spa Industry alone is a $94 billion dollar global market, seeing 58% growth since 2007.
- Workplace Wellness is now a $41 billion dollar market.
- Fitness & Mind-Body continues to rise, reaching $446 billion dollars.
- Healthy Eating/Nutrition/Weight-Loss has become a $574 billion dollar market with 108% growth in just four years.
- Beauty & Anti-Aging remains the leading segment at $1.03 trillion dollars, showing 51% growth since 2010.
- Wellness Tourism is now a $494 billion dollar worldwide market, representing more than 1 in 7 of all travel dollars spent.
The numbers speak volumes, casting light on a now undeniable global shift towards a more comprehensive and holistic approach to our health and wellbeing. With that said, in many areas of the world, we remain in the very early stages of sifting through decades of messaging that supported entirely outsourcing your personal health to those donning white lab coats in hospital wards.
As a great supporter of integrated healthcare and seeking out your own team of experts and specialists across a variety of fields – those in lab coats, those in alternative medicine clinics, those in yoga and meditation studios and beyond - I could not be more proud and hopeful to learn that not only is wellness truly recognized as an industry, yet a 3.4 Trillion dollar one at that.
Life expectancy is on the rise worldwide. According to the World Health Organization, 70-years was the average life expectancy at birth of the global population in 2012 vs. 46.6yrs in 1950 as reported by the United Nations. It is becoming more and more important not only to live, yet to live well into our later years.
Core Essence is designed to inspire curiosity, to evoke questioning, to spark debate and discussion, and to ultimately expose tools and resources that facilitate a greater knowledge and understanding of your own health and wellbeing.
We would love to hear from you…
What is Wellness to you? How can we best support this in your life? Leave a reply below!
*Findings and Research credited to “Global Wellness Institute, Global Spa & Wellness Economy Monitor”, September 2014 and the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) International. www.globalwellnesssummit.com