Secrets to Longevity: Part I
Welcome! This week we're talking about Secrets to Longevity. In Part I we discuss: what are “longevity hotspots”, where are they located, and might we suggest your next wellness vacation to one of these fascinating locations for a real first hand experience of the culture and people?
If you knew of a few commitments that if genuinely prioritized daily could add not only years but also quality of living to your life, would you be willing to do what it takes to truly embrace them?
Seems like a question with such an obvious answer, however incidences’ of most major illnesses and disease continue to be on the rise. Does this indicate that we don’t fully entrust that our health is in our own hands? Or perhaps that we are not accessing the necessary information or support to make positive sustainable lifestyle changes? Or even more so, that what may sound like simple and straightforward practices are actually quite difficult to embrace in today’s society?
There has been a tremendous buzz around a couple of fascinating books that have now become New York Times bestsellers. Published by National Geographic, author Dan Buettner has released “Thrive” & “Blue Zones” and has since received coverage from virtually all the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS) as well as several other renowned publications that include TIME Magazine and Forbes.
In the coming blog series, we are going to dive more deeply into the key insights shared and will look to breakdown these suggested commitments into practical bite-sized applications as well as provide a backbone of supportive resources and outlets to give us all a fair shot at starting TODAY to not only live longer but live well.
First we take a peek into the geographic locations now coined as “longevity hotspots” around the globe where these common lifestyle practices have truly been embraced and have shown marked impact on longevity in the communities. Some fascinating stats and Core Essence Retreat recommendations:
- Location: Approximately 640km off the southern coast of Japan.
- Population: Approximately 1.3 million
- Centenarian Stat: 34 Centenarians per 100,000 people. This is more than 3X the rate in Japan.
- Core Essence Retreat Recommendation:The Busena Terrace celebrates Okinawa’s authentic natural heritage and warm spirit of the island. This is a haven for golfers and spa-dwellers alike.
- Location: Second largest island in the Mediterranean Sea,
- Population: Approximately 1.6 million
- Centenarian Stat: Shown to have the highest concentration of male centenarians on the globe, the ratio of male to female longevity ratio is 1:1 as opposed to the worlds average of1:7
- Core Essence Retreat Recommendation:The Valle Dell ‘Erica Thalasso & Spa Resort features Turkish Baths and several outdoor salt water pools amongst 1400 meters of coastline. Villa Las Tronas is said to be unbelievable too!
Nicoya, Costa Rica
- Location: Located on the pacific side of Costa Rica in the Guanacaste province.
- Population: Approximately 25,000
- Centenarian Stat: “A 60-year old in Costa Rica has more than a four-fold chance of making it to 90-years of age than a 60-year old in America”.
- Core Essence Retreat Recommendation: There are too many phenomenal options to choose just one! You may have to stay a few weeks! Have a peek at all three recommendations – they will take your breath away: FloraBlanca Resort, Pranamar Villas, or Punta Islita
- Location: A 255sqkm island located in the Aegean Sea, approximately 30 miles of the west coast of Turkey.
- Population: Approximately 8,500
- Centenarian Stat: The inhabitants live an average of 10 years longer than those in the rest of Western Europe.
- Core Essence Retreat Recommendation:Erofili Beach Hotel offers stunning views of the Aegean Sea, indoor & outdoor pools, private terraces with each room or studio.
Among the Seventh-day Adventists in Loma Linda, California
- Location: Located in the San Bernardino Valley of California
- Population: Approximately 25,000
- Centenarian Stat: Most residents’ life expectancy exceeds that of the average American by more than 12 years.
- Core Essence Retreat Recommendation: Approximately one hour outside the San Bernardino Valley area you will find the breathtaking JW Marriott Desert Springs Resort & Spa. The Spa itself is 38,000sqft with a treatment menu that incorporates ancient healing methods and fresh local ingredients.